On the 18th March we're getting together representatives of the Climate Action community across Yorkshire, along with our network of trainers, representatives of the Carbon Literacy Project, Zero Carbon Britain and others, for a launch event to celebrate the creation of our initiative and to talk about the roadmap to a Net Zero Yorkshire.
Speak Carbon Yorkshire – Launch Event
Date: 18th March 2021
Time: 12.20pm – 2.00pm
How Will You Achieve Net Zero in Your Region, Sector or Industry?
What does Net Zero or being Carbon Neutral actually mean? How will the Climate Emergency really affect you? What can you do about it and how can you influence behaviour change in those around you?
Your organisation may have declared a Climate Emergency, pledged a net zero commitment or acknowledged the urgency for Climate Action in some other way. Or perhaps you’d like to tackle Climate Change but want to feel more confident understanding what that entails.
Find out how you can plan to implement meaningful measures to encourage behaviour change? What will persuade diverse groups of people to take the necessary action?
Launching Speak Carbon Yorkshire!
You are invited to a unique launch event. In this UK first, Speak Carbon Yorkshire will share with you a co-ordinated cross sector endeavour to train on climate awareness.
This event is for you – wherever you are on your sustainability journey.
Our Vision at Speak Carbon Yorkshire is to create the first Carbon Literate county.
During the meeting, you will find out how Carbon Literacy training progresses essential climate learning into significant actions to reduce carbon impacts. The outcome is inspiring positive behaviour change in each participant’s role, using their existing skills and contributing to Yorkshire’s net zero ambitions.
- Welcome and introductions
- First Speaker - Phil Korbel, Director of The Carbon Literacy Project. Phil will inspire you with case studies demonstrating multiple project successes
- Second Speaker - Amanda Smith, Training Manager at Zero Carbon Britain. Amanda will explain how The Zero Carbon Britain Hub and Innovation Lab help turn climate emergency declarations into action. They will be sharing a little of how they do this, how Carbon Literacy is a key feature and an exciting case study from another area taking on the net-zero challenge.
- Participants will then visit ‘event studios’ (break-out rooms) to meet your Carbon Literacy trainer of choice, who will provide an overview of sector specific content and a mini taster session.
- Reconvene in ‘main hall’ for further Q&A
- Concluding statements and meeting close
Who are Speak Carbon?
We are a group of Carbon Literacy trainers from different sectors, who have joined together to share a collaborative platform to promote Carbon Literacy training across Yorkshire. You can view our professional profiles on this page.View The Trainer Network
What is Carbon Literacy?
The Carbon Literacy Project has been recognised as globally unique by the UN at COP21, in Paris, where it was awarded TAP100, one of 100 worldwide Transformative Action Programmes.
Carbon Literacy is a day’s worth of training which;
- provides the knowledge and capacity to create a positive shift in how we live, work and behave in response to climate change.
- Is sector specific so applicable to the learner’s role
- Needs no previous knowledge, but everyone’s learning is enhanced
- Requires participants to devise their own Climate Action Plans
- Learners who complete the learning can be certified as ‘Carbon Literate’.
The UK Climate Change Commission’s research findings are that behaviour change is crucial for adopting the technologies which will stabilise the climate. Behaviour change starts with education and sustainability awareness. This event will introduce you to a new vital tool in the worldwide fight to keep global temperature rise below 2°C.
This event is FREE but places are limited so REGISTRATION is essential.